I have received the error message "ASIC Mail Returned". What does this mean?
If ASIC is aware that an address may be incorrect, they highlight it as a problem address. This means that mail sent has/will be returned to them. The following types of addresses will be highlighted:
- registered office
- principal place of business
- contact address nominated on a Notification to nominate, change or cease a contact address for a company (Form 486)
- residential address of officeholders
If the contact address is the address of the registered agent of the company, instead of highlighting any problems with the address, ASIC will contact the agent directly to advise them of the problem.
If an officeholder's address is highlighted, this will appear across all roles that the person holds in the company. The highlighted addresses can be seen on:
- annual statements
- company and personal name searches (both current and historical)
- roles and relationships searches
- data downloads (both online and via EDGE)
- ad hoc company statements
- invoices and notices
Companies are required to keep their addresses up to date with ASIC. If an address for your company or company you represent has been highlighted by ASIC, it is recommended to update the address using the following form:
- Change to company details (Form 484)
Alternatively, if you are adamant that the address is correct and the address has been highlighted incorrectly, we recommend contacting ASIC directly to clarify.